How can I configure questions on forms?
- Adding new questions to forms
- Editing questions
This article will show you how to add, edit or remove questions from forms, as well as how to set up the answer types in order to gather general information about the participants.
We understand that forms can be created for various purposes, and that's why we'll show you how to configure questions on registration forms, feedback forms, and custom forms.
Adding new questions to forms
The process to add new questions to forms will be the same for the three types of form offered by InEvent:
The only difference will be how to access the page in order to create these questions.
The standard registration form includes default questions such as name, e-mail address, username, password, role, and company information.
To add new questions, go to Marketing > Registration > Registration form, click the + Add Question button in the top left corner
The feedback form will vary depending on which type of survey will be conducted:
- Event feedback: Go to Event> Content > Feedback
- Activity feedback: Click on Agenda > Feedback and then select an activity
- Sponsor feedback: Go to Event > Sponsor, select the Sponsor, at the Details tab scroll down until you see Ask for feedback when leaving, press Edit
To add new questions to custom forms, you need to navigate to Marketing > Registration > Custom Forms> +Add Form. Once you create the form, you will see the +Add question button in the upper left corner.
Then, you will need to choose the Answer Type from a list of options using the drop-down box.
- Yes or No - The attendee must choose between Yes and No.
- Checkbox - The attendee should tick the checkbox to answer the question.
- Grade from 0 to 5 - The attendee should choose a number from 0 to 5.
- Options List - Here the organizer can set several options for the attendee to choose from (not multiple choice).
- Plain Text - Displays a text box for the attendee to reply with a response.
- Formatted text - It allows you to submit word-style formatted texts.
- Online Signature - Displays a box for attendees to add their electronic signature.
- Passport field - Within the standard international passport structure, the attendee must enter the official ID.
- Airport field - It allows you enter airport names/codes and they will appear immediately.
- File upload - The attendee must attach the desired file, requested by the organizer.
- Multiple choice - Here the organizer can set several multiple-choice options.
- Date & Time - Here the attendee can choose a date and time from the calendar.
- Date - Here the attendee can choose a date from the calendar.
- Time - Here the attendee can choose a time from the calendar.
- Numeric - The attendee can only enter numbers in this field, with a limit of 9 digits. If your type of answer requests more than 9 digits, use the answer type Plain text.
You can ask participants for their signatures on registration forms, custom forms, and booking forms. To add a signature box to each form, click on +Add question, enter your Question title, then select Online signature as the answer type from the drop-down menu:
The form will now display a box for the participants to place their signatures. Participants can enter their signatures in one of the following ways:
- Draw it (with a mouse) by clicking on the pen icon.
- Type it by clicking on the keyboard icon.
When selecting the Options list as the answer type, there are a few preset options to choose from. Among them is the Empty List for you to add your own catalog.
- Adding your list
When selecting Empty list, on the field page click on Edit then select your question. Then, press the bullet point icon (outlined in the image below), and click the blue Add Multiple Options button
- Presets option list
You can also select one of the preset options such as List of countries, List of US states, List of US states (abbreviation), List of US territories, List of US territories (abbreviation), List of US states and territories, and List of US states and territories (abbreviation). And the Options list will show a list of countries according to the option selected:
To create a multiple choice question, write your question in the Question title field and then select Multiple choice from the drop down menu of Question answer type and click Create.
Similarly to the Option list answer type, you have to add your options in your question. After you have clicked on the Edit button and clicked on the question, click on options then on Add multiple options. Type your options while pressing on the Enter button of your keyboard between each option and click on the Add options button once you're done.
The options are now created. To learn how to change their order, check this section.
- Minimum number of choices required
When creating a multiple choice question, you can set a minimum amount of required response, if the user selects less, they will not be able to proceed with the Registration form or any other other type of form until they have selected the minimum number of choice specified. If you set the number to 0, there will be no limit.
To set the minimum number of choices required, click on Edit and then type the number in tab shown below and then click End to save changes.
The answers will appear on the forms as red if the user does not select the number of choices specified as clarified under the question title and they will not be able to submit the form, once they have selected the correct number, the boxes will become green and they will be able to submit the form.
- 'Select all options' button for multiple choice questions
To enhance the efficiency of the process, attendees will be able to swiftly choose all answer options at once by clicking the Select all options button.
How do I edit an option?
To edit an option you have added in your multiple choice or options list answer type, click on the Edit button and then click on the option. Once you do so, you will be able to change the option's title. You can also remove the option you have added in the multiple choice or the option list question by clicking on the red Remove button.
Required and Visible questions
Having a required question means that the attendees will need to answer that question to be able to advance through the form.
To define if a question will be required or not, press the Edit button, click on a question, then tick or untick the checkbox corresponding to Required.
If you decide to make the question invisible, as an admin, you can still see that question at My Account tab. To make it easier, there is an invisible icon sign before the question and after between brackets a sentence that says 'this question is invisible'.
How do I rearrange the order of the questions?
To rearrange the order of the questions, hover your mouse over the squares next to the custom question and drag the squares up or down, to place the questions into order.
How do I create a question with a default answer?
You can configure questions to be prepopulated with default answers.
Select the question you'd like to add the default answer to, press Edit > and select or type in the Default value.
In the example below, the event organizers selected Yes/No as the answer type, so they can define if the default answer should be Yes or No. But if you Select Plain text as the answer type, you will see a field to type in the default value. The default value options will depend on the Answer type selected.
How do I use Triggers?
When using the Options list, Yes/No, Checkbox or Multiple choice question answer type, you can segment your attendees into different List based on the answer they provide using the Trigger function. To do so, ensure you have created lists and follow the next steps below:
- Click on the question created with any of the above mentioned answer type.
- Click on Triggers.
- Click Edit on the top right corner.
- Select the List that should be triggered based on the expected answer using the drop-down box.
- Click on End to save the changes.
Once an attendee chooses an answer option when filing the form, they will be added to the List linked to the answer on the platform.
How to use username masks?
When creating new questions of the Plain Text type, you can insert a Username Mask in order to keep the answers under the desired format.
For example, you can ask for the attendee's birthdate and insert a username mask to make sure the input data follows an MM/DD/YYYY format.
You can create conditional questions when using the Yes/No, Options list, Multiple choice or Checkbox answer type. To learn more about conditional questions, read this article.
Deleting questions from the form
To remove a question, please click on it, then on the Edit button (top right corner of the screen). The Remove field will show up, allowing you to delete the selected question. Click on it and then click Remove on the window that pops up. To save this change, please click End.